On Thursday 23 August 2012 18:36:57 John Thornton did opine:

> It is very likely your ways are not very precise and fit up properly as
> well as your gib being junk.
>
> Take a look at Nick Muller's videos on cheap chinese ways
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1eOQa1gYiU&feature=player_embedded
>
> John
>
> On 8/22/2012 6:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

I did make some progress on it this afternoon.  After spending several
hours with the gib on a 16" mill bastard file, trying to arrive at a
matching angle between the 2 faces of the gib and the two faces of the
dovetail, I got that pretty close, but when I put it together and held it
up to the light, it became obvious the dimples for the adjusting screws
were totally AFU, and were holding the gib at about a 15 degree angle,
contacting the top edge only at the top of the dovetail, which in turn was
causing the lower edge of the 60 degree face to have about 0.020 worth of
daylight between it and the bottom of the inside of the 60 degree dovetail.
Even with the screws so tight I had to drive the slide with a dead blow
hammer, I could still stick my pocket knife blade between the slide and the
carriage and lift it nearly 30 thou.

So I took 8 or 10 more strokes on the gib trying to better match the
dovetail angles but ran out of fingers as its difficult to grip and put the
pressure where it needs to be.

So the next thing I did was fire up the mill & put a 1/8" bit in it, and
clamped the gib, dimple side up in a vice on the table, then carved the
dimples in from the bottom, deep enough to just remove the old ones, and
slowly moved so it cut about halfway from the old dimple to the top face of
the gib, probably raising it by by 30 thou.  Put it back together but while
it was a step in the right direction, it was obvious that was not enough,
so I raised the dimple another 5 thou, helped, raised it another 5 thou,
and made note that the screws suddenly went deeper by about 2.5 turns of
the screw!  They were actually fitting into the dimples.

Put that together.  Now the gib was sitting solidly against the inside of
the dovetail, and the bottom of the gib was very close to laying flat on
the carriage, perhaps 2 or 3 thou clear of it back toward the screw face.

Adjusted it, oiled it, then tried my pocket knife as a lifting wedge and
got a .0045" lift for what was probably a several hundred pound prying
force.  That is probably a 90% improvement and should do a lot for the
perceived rigidity of the tool post.

And the old man is worn out.  Sore fingers etc.  and one thing I found,
black marks-a-lot makes damned poor layout dye.  It may wear thin, but it
does NOT transfer to the clean piece.

Next I guess is to find a sock/tube to cover the screw while it gets cut to
length and turned to about .251" diameter to fit the motor coupling on the
rear of it.  The final assembly is going to need a bone connection diagram
if it ever comes apart again. :)

Progress, at least that is what GE used to brag about on tv 40 years ago.
:)

Cheers, Gene
"The student in question is performing minimally for his peer group and
is an emerging underachiever."