On Friday 24 August 2012 09:33:05 Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 8/24/2012 5:43 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Oh no!  Last I knew he only had 3 legs left cuz they weren't going to
> > eat him all at once.:)
>
> I thought I was the only one left who knew that joke. People who grow up
> in farm country have a different view of animals than the 3-rd
> generation suburban folks around me. I'm not saying it's a better view,
> just different.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

Since the internet came around, it gets renewed about annually in my inbox.
3rd gen burb dwellers will probably never "get it" when they read the
original.  And while I was born in Des Moines and can still drive to that
house at 2518 Adams Avenue, I was much more of a farm kid than a city kid,
and I know exactly where my food comes from.

Before diabetes hit and I could go afield all day in -20F weather, I was an
avid deer hunter, and have field dressed, skinned & butchered around 60
deer back in those days. 41 of them in a 2 year period in the late 60's in
the Black Hills of South Dakota.  With a large family at the time, we
hunted year round and ate everything but the squeal.  The game wardens
watched, but we were just giving them a hand in controlling a very serious
over-population of deer that in truth were decimating the black hills.  And
eventually the killer snowstorm hit in late March, and by the time we were
able to drive around again 2 weeks later, 180k deer had yarded up and
starved, about 25 or 30k survived.  Those hills can carry 70k deer in an
average winter, but the next fall when everybody was moaning about how hard
the hunting was, I still managed to use every ticket they sold me without a
lot of effort. One of my old friends was one of them and an agent, I had
told him to take 2 home with him as I'd be needing them when I arrived from
Nebraska around 2ish on thanksgiving day.  I had gone to Nebraska for a
better job, and still had SD residence rights.  But he only took one home
because the hunting was so poor.  Anyway, I bought that ticket & headed on
into the hills, only getting perhaps 10 miles on up the canyon before a
small spike buck made the mistake of standing there long enough for me to
collect him & field dress him.  I drove back down to his place to see if he
could find me another license & he was plumb flabbergasted that I had
already used that one, insisting on seeing it, which was then laying on the
tailgate of my station wagon.  Dumb luck more than hunting skill to be
sure.

So I waited till the next morning in a local motel, bought another license
the next morning, had it filled & was back home in Nebraska by about 11 pm
that night.  3 days later we had 1/4 of a 20 foot freezer full of venison
to make venison gravy with, yummy.

But the last time I went hunting here, I almost froze my feet and it wasn't
even freezing out.  Hunting season here is held in the fall monsoon season.
That means my favorite rifle now has a rust pitted barrel and isn't
shooting as well as I'd like.  Time marches on.

Cheers, Gene
Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny.
                -- Frank Hubbard