This is all being done with halcmd, and i piped the stderr and stdout too
files, that i monitor.  Im using hlcmd -s show pin for the pins, then i
read the lines separate the relevant information like dir, type, name, and
discard the rest.  For the setup i am parsing the .comp files and adding
optional cfg based on the component.  I wanted it to work no mater how many
times you changed, or installed a component, or loaded several different of
the same components.  I didn't want to have to keep updating it when ever
something new was added to the wiki.  if you hover over the component with
your mouse the manual information is displayed, also if  it missed
something in the .comp file, i parse the stderr for the line that starts
with the component. such as as STEPGEN: ERROR: no count added, then it
places a text entry box below the combo box  with a label next to it
labeled count.  Python has pretty easy file reading and OS capturing
libraries.  Last night i spent the final two hours writing a auto screen
capture program, takes a screen print at the specified interval, you can
also declare what window to take pictures of so it will pause if you tab
out or switch windows.  but that's a whole seperate topic.

Gabe