On Tuesday 04 September 2012 11:50:51 Gabriel Willen did opine:

> Well I made pretty good progress on this program this weekend.
> Essentially its one of many parts i'm making to make LinuxCNC setup a
> more user friendly experience. The Mach3  user's won't have anything to
>  say about setup when im finished.  I plan to build a LinuxCNC Main gui
> with seperate applications wether it be configuration for a milling
> machine or something completely custom.  As of right now, that will
> include a new and improved Stepper motor setup, including closed loop
> tuning, a improved servo tuning interface, a Hal signal linker/paramter
> setting, that will open and revise .hal files, without making changes
> to whats been done.

That will be a helpful improvement over the all or nothing we have now.  I
think most of us are more or less used to vim or gedit to do this stuff,
possibly fine tuning the live system with halconfig, but we still have to
remember the values if we want to make them permanent.  Neither vim nor
gedit checks for naming clashes, or cares how we spell what s/b two copies
of a signal name.

> Simply select a component from the list, click out
> an out pin, if its float all of the eligible float in pins will be
> active to select, click on one or many in pins.  Have it either auto
> generate a net signal name based on an abbrievated outpin such as
> siggen.0.sine would be siggen-sine.

> There will be a better latency
> testing tool, that will put your system under various user selectable
> stress levels.  No longer requiring you to put it under a load.  It
> will open windows, open glx gears, move windows around, add text to a
> text editor scroll up and down, launch a few web browser's send a large
> fake packet over ethernet and what ever else i can think of.  I also
> plan on adding a .comp IDE, making it very simple to write and install
> hal components.  Lastly a better gui designer essentially simplifying
> gladevcp even more.  Let me know what you think if you have any request
> i would be glad to hear them.

Some functions that are described in the wiki, would appear to be
candidates for conversion to loadable modules, like the spindle at speed
gui.

> Here are the screen shots so far
>
> <
> https://plus.google.com/photos/108420335892310746315/albums/578421112408
> 6428513

That looks usable Gabe, I hope it gets into the download queue in due time.

Thank you!

Cheers, Gene
If a subordinate asks you a pertinent question, look at him as if he had
lost his senses.  When he looks down, paraphrase the question back at him.