Kent A. Reed wrote:
> Gentle persons:
>
> A seasoned hobby machinist here in the Washington DC area just reported
> to a local maillist that his project to convert his Bridgeport from
> steppers to servos has been set back by a fire in his workshop. The fire
> consumed most of a liter of lube oil in the Bridgeport reservoir. He
> believes the lube pump (which had been left on for later work)
> malfunctioned, overheated, and ignited the oil. To quote "I was amazed
> at the heat and smoke which a mere liter of Vactra No. 2 could create.
> (I could not get into the shop from the heat, and I could not see more
> than a couple of feet.)" Fortunately, no one was hurt and most of his
> shop was unharmed except for the smoke from the fire and the water laid
> down by the fire department.

Wow, a lube pump is supposed to be impedance limited, and should be
fused as well.
Darn odd for it to be able to ignite the oil, although I'm sure once
started, it would burn
strongly.  I would have expected it to smoke quite strongly before being
able to ignite
it.  I wonder if a wire burned up and dropped into the usual oily mess
on the pump,
and the sparking wire is what actually caused the ignition.

Pretty scary!

Jon