So i did some remastering to the live cd of linuxcnc 2.5, also made a lite
version using Xfce4, this version has only the bare minimum to run LCNC..
 I added the Linuxcnc tux logo to the installer, I also modified the
plymouth splash to use the Tux LinuxCNC logo on boot.  For a live .iso
only, i disabled the installer and configured Syslinux to boot straight
into the OS, no menu's. Im in the process of writing a gui that only uses
the frame buffer, and will eliminate Xorg completely. I'm not sure what i
will gain here but when i run the Rtai module kernel latency test in Xfce4
or Gnome version i see a 2000ns difference in the max latency when compared
to running it in CLI.  Im not positive how this correlates between the
latency test shipped with linuxcnc hopefully someone on here can chime in
with that, or ill take a look at the source code and figure it out.  I'll
take some screenshots later this afternoon.  the Xfce4 iso is only 250mb.
 Also only ships with the En language package, though adding the locale
package's back in is trivial and only adds about 20Mb of additional space.

If your wondering what the point of this is, I want the OS to feel as if,
its only linuxcnc for the machine's i design.  I have been unable to
duplicate the RTAI latency i can get with the shipped package from linuxcnc
on any other distro so i decided to stick with Ubuntu.  I built the lite
version using Ubuntu-mini-remix a great starting .iso for those interested.
 I will be using a Compact Flash drive on the controllers with my machine.
 It will load the .iso live into ram on boot every time  this makes
updating a breeze i can remotely send a new .iso if bug fixes or
improvements are made to the os and linuxcnc itself.  I'll leave this open
for comments or criticism.

Thanks
Gabe