On 10/15/2012 7:10 AM, Gabriel Willen wrote:
> So i did some remastering to the live cd of linuxcnc 2.5, also made a lite
> version using Xfce4, this version has only the bare minimum to run LCNC..
>
> <...>
> Im in the process of writing a gui that only uses
> the frame buffer, and will eliminate Xorg completely. I'm not sure what i
> will gain here but when i run the Rtai module kernel latency test in Xfce4
> or Gnome version i see a 2000ns difference in the max latency when compared
> to running it in CLI.  Im not positive how this correlates between the
> latency test shipped with linuxcnc hopefully someone on here can chime in
> with that, or ill take a look at the source code and figure it out..

Gabe:

2000ns difference is small beer but I'll bet the magnitude of the
difference depends on hardware specifics. What CPU/motherboard/graphics
combination do you have? Just so we know where we stand, what is the max
latency you get with Gnome?

I've not run the RTAI kernel latency test on many of the systems on
which I ran the LinuxCNC latency test so I don't know how well the two
results compare. Interesting question, especially in light of recent
experimentation with alternative realtime environments where only a
kernel latency test is available in early stages (see recent traffic
about the Xenomai work on emc-developers).

> If your wondering what the point of this is, I want the OS to feel as if,
> its only linuxcnc for the machine's i design.  I have been unable to
> duplicate the RTAI latency i can get with the shipped package from linuxcnc
> on any other distro so i decided to stick with Ubuntu.

Curious. I infer that your latency was worse with other distros.
Unfortunately, details like kernel version and kernel configuration
matter. In general, I wouldn't expect Ubuntu always to give the best
numbers.

>   I will be using a Compact Flash drive on the controllers with my machine.
>   It will load the .iso live into ram on boot every time  this makes
> updating a breeze i can remotely send a new .iso if bug fixes or
> improvements are made to the os and linuxcnc itself.  I'll leave this open
> for comments or criticism.

Hey, go for it. The beauty of open source software is that you can
customize to your heart's content. I personally like minimalism so
you're playing my kind of music.

> Thanks
> Gabe

Regards,
Kent

PS - It's curious how your and tuxcnc's work with minimum distros show
up within one month of each other.