On Tuesday 30 October 2012 09:50:06 John Thornton did opine:

> Another reason is collet holders are much shorter than a drill chuck and
> on Z challenged machines like my BP switching between an end mill holder
> an a drill chuck is not always a practical thing... but at $200 for a
> set of collets it will be out of the range of many home shop machinists.
> I do have a jacobs chuck for my BP but don't use it.
>
> John

I have similar problems with my little toy mill.  The average, I can buy it
at Lowes, replacement chuck cannot reliably mount or hold the drills I use
which can go as small as #72's.  If I ever seriously damage the chinese
Horse brand chuck that came with the mill, I'll be out of business for
drills under 1/16".  And its runout leaves a lot to be desired & getting
worse.  I have to creep up on starting the hole and give it time to self-
center, if it will, depends on the work material. copper plated pcb's are
usually ok, TSC's grade of steel rod for a BP nipple gets very very pickity
& needs wholesale qty's of the chosen bit size because that dulls them
rapidly.  And I've not found anyone who will sell me carbide #68's in ten
packs w/o a 3 digit price yet. :(

For this sort of work, I seriously need an old 1/4" chuck from a 50 yo
electric hand drill, but it still drills holes & I hate to tear up
something that actually still works after all this time. :)

> On 10/30/2012 7:31 AM, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > On 30.10.12 06:15, John Thornton wrote:
> >> I don't use a drill chuck on any of my mills, I've been told ER
> >> collets are much better and that is what I use.
> >
> > Can't disagree a lot, for milling, anyway. IIRC, it was in a Tormach
> > document that I read a note similar to this:
> >
> > Drill Chucks:
> >     Using a drill chuck to hold a tool used for side cutting is
> >     dangerous, though educational and often expensive. A Jacobs taper
> >     is _not_ designed for lateral loads, so vibration and side loads
> >     generally shake the drill chuck off its mount. As the spinning
> >     mass dissipates its kinetic energy, the flailing cutting edges
> >     shred any flesh or other vulnerable material in its path. Drill
> >     chucks are only to be used with axial forces, i.e. drilling.
> >
> > It's now one of my MOTD entries, so once in a while my wetware RAM is
> > refreshed.
> >
> > I'd hate to buy a collet for every drill size I might use.

Amen on that!  Not to mention that for my #2 morse spindle, collets under
1/8" suddenly are made from unobtainium.

> > Erik

Cheers, Gene
<doogie> joy/elmo: why can't the same ip be used?  was this fire so
         great that it burned the ip address?