Andy,

>I can imagine that a format like T10.12 would work (tool 10, offset 12).

What I think one really wants is to have code that will run on either a
standard industrial control or LCNC.  This means no "." between geometry and
offsets values.  Others what are using this patch can chime in - I suspect they
will have the same opinion.

>The big difference between Fanuc-style and LinuxCNC style tool changes
>is not actually in the offsets anyway. That is that the T-word causes
>the toolchange, not the M6 command.

No - the big difference IS the offset application.  The fact that you don't
have to type M6 G43 is just syntax.  The real functionality is the ability to
program wear offsets separately from geometry offsets.  I've mentioned it
before, but the use case is one tool asked to turn two diameters with two
different tolerances: dia 1 = 1.000 +0.0, -0.003 - dia 2 = 2.000 +0.003, -0.0.

Rogge