On Thursday 22 November 2012 10:37:48 Mark Wendt did opine:

> I've got a Hakko 472 that "Just Works" tm.  However, it has one little
> really annoying trait.  The transformer "moans."  By that, I mean, it
> doesn't have a steady hum, but more of a "waaaa, waaaa" in deep bass.
> ;-)
>
> Would I be looking in the right direction were I to assume one or more
> of the filter caps is starting to go?  If not that, anything else I
> should look for?  No schematics of the board, so I'm shooting a bit in
> the dark here.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I think I have essentially the same thing, built in hot air pump too?

What you may be hearing is the pwm beat that regulates the tip temp.  Does
it change if you sink the hot tip into a puddle of solder, cooling it?

Cheers, Gene
Q:      What's yellow, and equivalent to the Axiom of Choice?
A:      Zorn's Lemon.