On Friday 14 December 2012 23:54:06 Kent A. Reed did opine:

> On 12/14/2012 10:40 PM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> >> Actually, the wikipedia article isn't bad:
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative
> >>
> >> If it gets too mathematical too quickly, just remember the geometric
> >> interpretation: for a smooth continuous curve represented by a
> >> function f(x), the slope of the curve at a point x=p is the
> >> derivative of the function df/dx evaluated at x=p (ignoring all the
> >> messy bits that require the mathematics to explain).
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Kent
> >
> > And d/dt specifically:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_derivative
> >

> > Peter Wallace
>
> Thanks, Peter, and sorry, Gene. By the time I checked wikipedia I'd
> forgotten you asked about ddt specifically.
>
> For time derivatives, the first derivative (slope) of a function is
> commonly called velocity (aka time rate of change) and the second
> derivative is acceleration.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

Thanks Kent.  From this, it appears it would not do what needs to be done.
So we can drop this trail off the map, its been explored to a dead end.

What I think I need is a compression curve, so the top 50% of input is only
a 10% range of the output, probably between the pid.output and pwmgen.value
in.

Cheers, Gene
Windows 98: New look, same multicrashing.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...