On 12/15/2012 08:33 PM, dave wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 22:31 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
>> andy pugh wrote:

>>> Not even using a 9mm?
>>>
>> Yeah, the military has been totally metric for quite some time.  All
>> guns were metric
>> during the Vietnam war, now everything is metric, tools, maps, parts.
>>
>> Autos are all metric except for wheel lugnuts.
>>
>> Aircraft manufacturing is all metric.  Lots of consumer products are made
>> in metric measure, with the US measure also on the package.  Sodas, for
>> instance.
>>
>> Jon
>>
> Even when I was a GI, Berlin crisis. the maps were partially metric. X,Y
> grid was Km but the heights were still in feet. ;-)
>
> Dave

That's because road signs were in metric so you did not need to convert
is my guess. With exception for bridges, there are no signs for heights
on the roads.

It's a SHAME (on Burma, Liberia and the United States) that with all
microcontrollers in any electronic device these days we still don't use
SI in daily life. American machine shops rarely use metric in my
experience. Same goes for hardware stores, metal suppliers, food
containers, cookie recipes, weather, GPS, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI
and when they do use it, it's not correct in most cases, see specs for
stepper motor torque in kg-cm instead of Nm by many online sellers.

Local HW store sells metric screws and bolts but they are very
expensive. What's weird is that they sell bolts in packs of 5 and nuts
in packs of 3. Go figure. People don't realize how expensive it is to
keep two systems in parallel in modern time with growing international
trade and Internet.

What is interesting is that Americans having European roots did not
adopt metric system while Japanese did long time ago.

--
Rafael