Absolutely!  I just finished wiring up the real (non-prototype) interface
card yesterday.  As soon as I make sure everything is working, I'll post
the wiring diagram and the HAL module.  It appears that even the
high-latency (1ms) shift register lines are fast enough to directly read
the tachometer signal from my cooling fans (120 Hz)!