following up to myself:

The issue goes down a bit deeper, and it's about the notion of controlled
shutdown

This is a dark corner of LinuxCNC, especially with respect to time-to-estop for
connected hardware, and it warrants some thought and work. Unfortunately I dont
have a quick answer for you, but let me sketch it out:

- either HAL or RTAPI's session concept needs to be firmed up, this is a very
loosely defined area as of now
- what is lacking is a defined sequence of operations which happens at shutdown
(for whatever reason that would be); that needs to work reliably regardless of
the underlying RT infrastructure (read: _lots_ of testing, and automated
please; very likely external hardware is needed to verify results)

I have looked into the issue in the past, more with an eye towards fast estop,
and the gist was: if it is too work fast, the shutdown sequence must be aware
of the hardware it is using; for instance, the fastest, lowest-impact method to
shutdown a Mesa card was to remove the watchdog function from the thread which
got the time windows down to a watchdog period. So shutdown is fast or
portable, tick either one. It is not an issue which can be solved en passant
with a quick fix; it needs a  bit of a plan and some systematic work which
doesnt immediately yield results.

I know this doesnt yet help you at the application level yet and part of the
issue with gladevcp and signals is that it is, well, a signal, which always has
been a touchy vehicle for critical sequences. In case the on_unix_signal method
turns out to be insufficiently reliable, what could help in the gladevcp case
is to adapt signal handling like so:

- use a signal file descriptor (signalfd)
- watch the signal file descriptor in the gladevcp main loop and associate an
event handler with it
- this will deliver a signal in-line with other gtk events to the Python code,
and in a controlled order, hopefully making it more reliable

I know the above is technobabble - in the faint hope somebody other than me
picks up the work

It is needed though I think - gladevcp use is mutating from a widget add-on to
a primary UI vehicle.

- Michael