On Monday 25 March 2013 06:56:28 Gregg Eshelman did opine:

> --- On Sun, 3/24/13, Matt Shaver <m...@mattshaver.com> wrote:
> > Post a bunch of pictures somewhere of your Anilam
> > Bridgeport,
> > especially of the electrical guts. With that, we can tell
> > you a lot more about what to do!
>
> It's not mine yet. Still trying to get the guy to see that as it sits,
> it's not worth much. He said $300 but after I went to look it over and
> said I was interested, he figured the price should go up.

show him the rust pits in those $400+ ball screws & what that will do for
the accuracy.  Putting it out in the weather and letting it rust like that
should have a price tag.  One /he/ should pay.

> Pics here, acra 1 through 15 http://partsbyemc.com/pub/
>
> Nevermind the rust. It's worst on the table top. Can have the "oopses"
> filled and the top milled at an engine rebuilding shop.
>
> My 9" South Bend lathe was far worse than that. I moved the table a bit
> and the way wipers scraped a bunch of the rust off. Should just need a
> little TLC with some oil and steel wool. Ball screws look perfect,

Not to me.

> no
> rust at all on anything important under the table and knee.
>
> Been checking ebay and other places, might be a tossup on $$$ between
> getting a motor and Fenner drive board to match the others, if the
> control box can be put back in action or replacing the servos and
> control with something closer to current and tucking a mini ITX system
> in there. The original control box could house a touchscreen monitor.
>
> I'm leaning more towards a full electronic update and selling the
> remaining bits of the old Anilam system. Those DC brush type servos are
> bloody expensive, the Baldor brand even moreso. Another thing making an
> update more attractive is I've read that those Fenner boards need
> tuning and tweaking because when they're off they make a high pitched
> whine.
>
> By having patience and waiting for good deals, I figure I could get this
> cutting metal for around $1,000 over the cost of the mill and getting
> it hauled home. It's only 305 miles away, the guy who told me about it
> bought a big lathe from the same place, I've been fixing his Bridgeport
> and Lagun mills so he said I'd only have to pay some fuel cost and he'd
> bring it with the lathe.

Cheers, Gene
My views
To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three
parts dead.
                -- Bertrand Russell
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...