--- On Wed, 3/27/13, Stan <sta...@telus.net> wrote:

> the big old rusty CNC mill you posted
> pix of, thought that was what this
> thread was about

The guy said he wanted $300 but when I said I was interested in it he wanted to
raise the price. He also has an old 13" LeBlond lathe in need of a lot of TLC,
which he wants way too much for.

Trying to communicate the concept to him that these pieces of equipment aren't
magically worth now what they would be all fixed up and fully functional just
because I would like to buy them.

At $300 for that mill, I should be able to have it fully working for a total of
under $2,000. I've been doing a lot of searching online and it looks like
completely replacing the electronics and axis motors could be cheaper, or at
least cost no more, that repairing the old original Anilam system. If I want to
go with steppers I can get three motors, drivers, power supply and controller
for less than one old used Baldor DC servo motor.

Then I'd still need one old Fenner servo driver board plus whatever's defekt in
the control box where the CRT is laying loose inside.

I'm going to put the two Compumotor 500 boxes on ebay, whatever I get from
those will go towards the mill project, if I can get the tool hoarder to let go
of it.

You should see this guy's place. He has a huge building which was built around
a giant Cincinnati planer, which must be 20 or more feet tall. He has lathes,
vertical and horizontal mills ranging from Bridgeport to oh-my-gawd size,
including one K&T 2D, two or more jig bores, shapers, grinders, an antique
printing press and many cabinets full of tooling, and more cabinets full of
type for the printing press. He also built three overhead gantry cranes for
Then there's all the stuff outside, including long rows of metal cabinets
filled with who knows what.

Does he actually *use* any of this? No. The place is so packed there's just
trails through it and to actually use any of the machines would require
shifting around a lot of stuff. The giant planer can't be used because its bed
would knock over a dozen other machines. The LeBlond he just dragged in,
connected power to, checked that it'd run and there it has sat ever since.

He has some items for sale bit is always a pain to pin down on price. When he
does sell something he goes right out and buys more to fill the hole.
He'd like to sell the property and everything on it. The shop building would be
a really nice place, once about 75% of the excess stuff is moved out so the
mega-planer and other usable/restorable machines could be used.