Gentlemen,

When a control requests a speed from a motor it will send a signal to the
drive ex 500 rpm.
The drive wants to put out 500 rpm of current to the motor but it cannot
because the motor is not turning. The drive knows this because the tach
feedback is zero (the motor is not turning).
Therefore, the drive uses the tach feedback and the tuning parameters to
increase the current to the motor until the tach feedback reaches the
voltage necessary for the control to recognize the motor is running at the
requested speed. The drive uses the tach feedback to adjust the current to
keep the motor running at the requested speed in the case of varying load
conditions.
The drive has no knowledge of where the tach voltage is coming from. When
the requested speed and the tach feedback reach the equilibrium state the
drive does not shut down. The drive continues to output the current
necessary to run the motor at the requested speed. Why would the drive not
immediately output the requested current level if the requested speed and
the tach feedback is matched from the start?
I ask this because I want to remove the drive tuning from the system.
Everyone says the drive/motor servo tuning is the best but if that is the
case why is there tuning capability in LinuxCNC? Obviously, it is not good
enough or no effort would be expended in making it better.
I will try this on one of my systems.
Maybe I need to work on a pseudo tach feedback that I generate to get the
desired result.
thanks
Stuart

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM, dave <dengv...@charter.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 22:43 -0500, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
> > Gentlemen,
> >   If I am wanting to remove the servo tuning from a velocity loop would I
> > be able to jumper the +/- 10 volts to the tach feedback into the drive
> and
> > to the speed request into the drive.
> > Would this cause the drive to not respond?
> > Would this cause the drive the immediately output the full requested
> > current to the motor?
> > thanks
> > Stuart
> >
> Whoa!
> tach feedback is negative.... if it matches the input drive then you do
> not accelerate...i.e constant speed.
> Think of it as a summing junction on an op amp with the other input
> being the velocity voltage.
> I think I have that right even at my age. ;-)
>
> This is what make velocity drives so easy to tune as opposed to torque
> drives. The tach feedback is a loop inside the velocity input.
>
> Dave

dos centavos