On 03/28/2013 04:35 AM, Roberto Sassoli wrote:
> Il 27/03/2013 23:41, emc-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net ha scritto:
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:35:24 +0100
>> From: Peter Blodow<p.blo...@dreki.de>
>> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] 3PWM on 7i43 MESA board
>> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>>      <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>>

>> What is GUNDAM's syndrome? Belonging to the category of Murphy's legal
>> advice system?
>>
>> Peter
> in Italy there is a robotic mailing list (sumobot, rover, autonomus
> drive, etc etc) and the gundam's syndrome is invoke when a new user want
> to make a mechanism, software, electronics or other, whitout knowledge
> or hollywood suggestions...
> for example:
> "whith my iPhone (iPhone is the best ;-)  ) whant control my dog when
> goes to pee"
> "i'm looking for a microbot like a fly to spy my girlfriend"
> "with a microwave, a washing machine and a radiocontrol toy car can i
> make a super robot like Gundam?"
> "i have watch "minority report"... it's possible control a computer like
> Tom Cruise???"
> and so much...
>
> return to my Gundam's way
> i've try to install webpak 9.2 and don't install :-(((
> i've downloaded the last xilinx program but i don't understand how can
> modify the .xml .BIT and .PIN files included in hostmot's firmware linux
> position
> must i go to garden???
>
> ciao
> Roberto

on 12.04, I recently installed Xilinx 14.4
Actually I tried 14.4 then 9.2i sp4, then went back to trying 14.4.
Many filed attempts and loads of bad / outdated web info.

The successful install went this way:

I used notes from
http://dreamrunner.org/blog/2012/09/12/install-xilinx-ise-on-the-ubuntu/

I used the Linux download, and for that the single file download.
Dont use the multiple file download, and no special downloader was used.
Just check the csum.
This too about 6hrs with my internet provider in USA.
You'll need a load of space, say 250% of the download size to download
AND extract.

You'll need another 150% of the download size where you want to install
I used one partition with 34G free for the download and extract, and
another with 26G free for the install target.

During the install, you'll be asked for a license.
A separate program runs to do this. I requested a WebPack license.
This is important trick! Install FULL , but use WebPack license.

A few libraries were needed, see the dreamrunner link

During the install it will ask if you want to install the drivers.
The web consensus is DONT DO IT YET! I have not gotten to the point of
communication with a target yet, so cannot offer personal experience,
but many say this is the correct approach.

update: I did build the drivers, tho the script had a small change for
the version number ( 12.x to 14.4). They built fine but I dont have Jtag
header on my card yet and have not tested. So I cannot prove that mine
works.

The suite is invoked by running a script, so the script needs to be
executable and have sufficient permissions ( settings32.sh for my ubuntu
12.04 shell )

to get a desktop icon, i followed
http://followthegeeks.com/how-to-manually-create-application-launcher-in-ubuntu-12-04-unity/

the icon is in
yourpath//Xilinx/14.4/ISE_DS/common/idata/usenglish/idata/isebillboards/logo.png

I also downloaded the zip files for tutorials
I ran the entire set of tutors for vhdl.
There are tutors for vhdl verilog and schematic input styles.

This exercises many features of the the suite
The editor, Syntax Checker, Simulator, Bit file generator, schematic
editor. These all worked.

Again, I have not programmed a bit file  to a card yet.
but i know the program suite works.

PS. It never crashed for the entire tutorial, seems very stabile, but
is a bit slow on my system. Dont panic if the system is building and you
see no feedback, just wait.

Your last Q about how to modify .xml, .BIT. and .PIN files, well
AndyPugh is right, you modify the .vhd files (if you use VHDL as your
chosen language/definition style).

I do not know which .vhd file you would need to modify for your project.
You can get all the .vhd and .ucf files from the GIT repository.
Examining them will show you more about the process. Following the
Xilinx tutorials will explain the relations of the files in a project.

I'm just learning all this myself.

best of luck
TomP