Will it work... well you saw the video and yes it works.

Is it productive and will it produce clean cuts NO!

Can you get started that way if your on a budget Yep.

Can you cut thin material that way Nope.

Can you cut smaller parts after carefully aligning up the torch head and
material Yep.

When I built my plasma I included a Z axis but didn't have a THC system
installed. They were all to expensive and complicated to use with EMC.
But Peter from Mesa came to my rescue and designed the THCAD card. If
your going to the trouble to build a plasma table the THCAD card is a
very cost effective solution to the THC problem.

The second most important addition to my plasma cutter was a floating
torch head with a micro switch to touch off on the material. I jog to my
start point and hit go, the torch moves down till the micro switch trips
then moves up to the pierce height, the torch starts, after the pierce
delay it moves down to the cut height then takes off cutting under the
control of the thc component which gets feedback from the THCAD card
indicating the tip voltage.

John