On 03/26/2013 01:21 AM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
>> I am not sure you will see good acceleration. In fact, it is
>> >always
>> >going to be less than 1g. This is because for any faster
>> >acceleration
>> >the strings go slack as the weighs don't fall fast enough.
> No need to go anywhere near that fast because an oxy-acetylene torch or
> plasma cutter can't cut that fast. This rig is most often used for cutting
> steel 3/4" thick or thicker.
   Since counter weights are often used on Z axes on servo machines, I
once decided to calculate how much of a limit the acceleration due to
gravity would be.  The metric calculations are left for you folks across
the pond.

Acceleration due to gravity = 16 feet/second/second

After 1 second the velocity can be 16 feet per second

times 60 = 960 feet per minute (I love spreadsheets!)

times 12 = 11520 inches per minute

divide that by two, so half of that force can be applied to your cable =
5760 inches per minute

HERE'S WHERE I AM MAKING ASSUMPTIONS THAT MAY BE OFF BY A LITTLE.

If I recall properly 1500 inches per minute is a FAST servo system.

1500/5760 = .26 ( assuming linear acceleration it should only take .26
seconds to reach 1500 IPM)

1500/60 = 25 inches per second

at 25 inches per second that servo system would travel 6.5 inches at
full speed while the gravity system would be accelerating to 1500 IPM.
Of course the servo system wouldn't be able to accelerate
instantaneously, so the counter weight would only slow a 1500 IPM servo
system down a little bit.

   I thought gravity would be much more of a limit too.