Thanks for all the interest.

I used Mastercam at a friend of mine. The impeller CAD model was fetched
somewhere from the Internet. I wrote my own post processor in Delphi - it
reads the NCI file that Mastercam creates. This file has the tip and tail 3D
coordinates of the tool in the toolpath in world or part coordinates. From
this it was easy to determine the A and C angles for the 4th and 5th axis in
part coordinates. The XYZAXkins that I wrote expects part coordinates. For
the impeller the part coordinates' origin is in the center of the blank on
the top surface. The post-processor also displays the toolpath and tool
vector in 3D, but with the tool fixed in space and the part moving (opposite
to what AXIS shows).

The setup is just a test - two rotary tables fitted with stepper motors. The
bigger rotary table (red) is fitted on the machine's table with its axis
parallel to the machine's X-axis (provides the A-axis). The smaller rotary
table is fitted on an angle plate which is fitted to the bigger rotary table
so the its axis is vertical parallel to the spindle axis or z-axis when in
the A = zero position. It provides the C-axis.

The machine is a Hermle 780. Its spindle is fixed and the table moves
up-down, left-right, and forward-backward. In the movies it may look as if
the spindle is moving up-down - this is not the case, the camera was mounted
on the table.

Backlash was adjusted as best I could - the rotary tables are not the best
quality. I was not concerned about the accuracy, just the functional testing
of the kinematics component. I was only cutting a soft material at
relatively slow speed. The movies were speeded up 200% to shorten their
playing times.

The component actually used 6 axes. The 6th axis is used to do indexing
between the blades of the impeller. The Gcode is provided for preparing the
blank (1st movie) and then to remove the material between the blades at one
indexing station only (2nd movie). The 6th axis adds a rotational increment
for each blade so the Gcode is used over and over again with a relative
indexing C-axis move between blades..

I have designed a complete trunnion table to replace my test setup. This has
a 140mm C-axis rotary table built in to a yoke including a concealed stepper
motor. The yoke is supported at both ends in bearings and is turned at one
end by a larger stepper motor. The trunnion table will be built as soon as I
have completed the conversion of my latest machine, A Hermle PF1000.

If I knew how and where I could post some pictures of the machine used here
and the new trunnion table.

Hope this background answers most of the questions.
Rudy