On 06/02/2013 03:50 PM, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> improved surface finish

Not really. The slicing software adjusts the extrusion speed to match
the XY speed, so the printer lays down a consistent amount of plastic no
matter what speed you choose.

That's the theory. In practice (and for my setup), higher speeds produce
worse results. I think part of the problem is that the extruder must
paste the current molten thread onto the previous layer, which requires
enough dwell time to melt them firmly together; higher speeds work
against that, so things don't stick nearly as well.

On the other hand, faster non-printing moves reduce the amount of time
the printer spends *not* printing, which is generally a Good Thing...
until something shakes loose.

--
Ed
softsolder.com