Aside from hooking up / rigging up an LCR meter and checking the capacitance of
the various 'phases', there isn't much you can do.  This measurement might
indicate a cracked piezo element or broken contact where the circuit looks like
a OC.

Mechanically, there might be excessive surface wear / contamination on the
friction surface.

These are the first things I'd investigate.

N. Christopher Perry