On Monday 17 June 2013 08:50:44 Ed Nisley did opine:

> On 06/16/2013 01:24 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > "Coyote" being the handle I'd been using since about 1962.
>
> Ah, now, were you kye-OH-tee or COY-ote?

I pronounced it like we did in the S.D. hills, Ky-yot with a long o.

> I have an amateur radio in the van, but discovered I don't have enough
> brainpower to drive and talk at the same time. Heck, I can barely drive
> and *listen* at the same time.

That wasn't a huge problem for me, and if I replaced the mike with one of
the shacks $12 electret pencils, very little distraction.  The std mikes
you have to palm and squeeze were far more work.  I could park the end of
the pencil on the point of my chin & it went where ever my head was
looking. And it sounded better by far.

As my hearing fades, a cell phone is 100's of time more distraction because
an eighth of an inch misplaced on your ear puts the thing they call a
speaker out of reach of my hearing, a huge distraction.  If it rings when
I'm driving, I never even reach for it.  They can leave a voice mail or
hang up.  Since 99.9% of the time, its the DW, wondering whats keeping me
when I went out for din-din, 90% of the time I just let the voice mails
expire of old age.  I carry that thing for in case the vehicle decides it
won't go, I can yell for help.  Haven't had to in the years since I
retired, but...

My 99 GMC is pretty rusted out these days, I bought it with 55k miles on
it, looked show room new then, made it to 113k miles before it filled the
pan with several gallons of antifreeze, so I put a rebuilt long block in it
last year, about $2600, but its still running on the same fresh tires that
were on it then.  But they are about done now, so I'll either trade up, or
spend another 2G's for another set like those if I can find them.  IMO,
60k+ miles on a set of tires that have never even been rotated, on a 4WD
vehicle is phenomenally good, but they'll hydroplane in a downpour if I
don't pay attention.  Since the Toy is 4wd too, I'll probably trade up, for
a long box & topper & regular cab 2wd.  The king cab is nice for keeping
stuff dry, but isn't an adult sized body hauler, which I don't need, and
the short box is a PIMA when hauling construction stuff. Today, my living
doesn't depend on going when most folks would hibernate, I can't really
justify the 4wd.

Cheers, Gene
My views
You scratch my tape, and I'll scratch yours.
         law-abiding citizens.