On 26.06.13 00:44, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> On Tue, 6/25/13, Pete Matos <petefro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Then I used some rented machine mover skates to position it in its final
> > place.
>
> Right now I have a 17x78" LeBlond Regal lathe on four Harbor Freight
> car dollies. Moves pretty easily on a concrete floor.

That's twice the between-centres length of my 3/4 tonne lathe, which was
easy to deliver. A Manitou (telehandler) brought it down our single-lane
street, and up the gravel drive (rising 10 metres in 50, with a 150°
curve in the middle), then pulled up in front of the garage door and
extended the boom to deposit the lathe half way to the back of the
garage. The last six feet were accomplished with a crowbar with a 12mm
thick x 75mm wide x 200mm slightly curved flat welded on the end. Its
bevelled end¹ was pushed under the pallet, then levered up, moving the
machine a third of a foot each time. It took about 5 minutes to place in
exactly the right spot.

The 800 kilo mill came on a small truck with boom, and rollers did make
it much easier (but a bit scary) to move into place. (Had to raise the
roller-door 50mm to avoid the need to pull the motor off the top.)

Maybe I should move out to the farm before buying anything bigger. It's
flat out there.

Erik

¹ Damages the concrete less than a square edge.

--
There are three principal ways to lose money: wine, women, and engineers.
While the first two are more pleasant, the third is by far the more certain.