From: andy pugh
Sent: 08/24/13 05:35 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Proximity home switch

On 24 August 2013 08:02, aaron moore <aaronmo...@linuxmail.org> wrote: > Please
could someone tell me how to wire 3 wire proximity home switch to my break out
board. That depends on the type of the proximity switch, they come in two
types, rather inaccurately called NPN and PNP.
http://sensortech.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/industrial-sensing-fundamentals-–-back-to-the-basics-npn-vs-pnp/
 When I wired mine it was relatively easy, as I have a 7i64 with isolated
inputs, but even then I initially had the sensors on the wrong side of the
input. The result of this was the internal LED glowing dimly when "off" and
brightly when "on" (though it did actually work). You need to think of them in
terms of current flow, not voltage, as they are often used to operate relays
rather than logic. The power supply wires are easy enough to figure out, those
need a supply of the rated voltage. Then, depending on the type of the sensor,
the output wire will either source current (from the positive supply) or sink
current (to the 0V wire) when activated. If you have an NPN sensor then it is
likely that you can connect the output wire directly to your BoB. The BoB input
will (probably) be weakly pulled up to 5V, and when the prox activates then it
will be pulled down to 0V. If you have PNP sensors, or if the inputs on the BoB
are opto-couplers, then it gets a little more complicated. So, what type of
prox sensor do you have, and what is the nature of the BoB inputs (and, also,
are the inputs two-terminal floating inputs, or commoned on the +5 or commoned
on the 0V side? -- atp If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Re-Form Furniture
Aaron Moore
Conileigh