On 5 September 2013 16:33, Russell Brown <russ...@lls.lls.com> wrote:

> Is this the sort of thing that a screw compensation table is meant to
> deal with?  If so, how do I actually measure the numbers for the table?

Normally it is quite difficult. But as you have glass scales then it
seems like it ought to be very simple in your case.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config/ini_config.html#_axis_lt_num_gt_section_a_id_sub_axis_section_a

You need to specify a COMP_FILE and COMP_FILE_TYPE in the INI file.

You can choose to specify an absolute or relative file (that's the FILE_TYPE)

I think what you need to do in your case is switch to machine
coordinate view (#, or use the menu if you don't have a #, or Linux
hasn't found it)

Then G0 X0 and manually push the axis to the end of backlash (unless
your config allows you to approach zero from the other side).
First line in the comp file is now 0,0,?

Then just run up the table, G0 X10, note the reading and make a comp
file entry of 10,9.92,
and so on to the end of travel, then come back the other way, filling
in the third column.

Or have I misunderstood the question?

--
atp