On Friday 04 October 2013 10:39:42 Erik Christiansen did opine:

> On 04.10.13 00:00, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I was just doing an update to my shop machines, running 2.5.3, and
> > noted it was rather slow, as in very slow, 20kb/sec.  Normally I get
> > about 380k/sec from here.
> >
> > Is the server under attack?
>
> Gene, what did top and iotop show? When one of my machines gums up, it's
> always been due to the expected disk or cpu thrashing. One culprit was
> firefox hogging cpu insanely on one particular website, another was jpg
> to ps conversion of a document scan using 97% cpu for a remarkable
> amount of time.
>
> If you're updating a lot of stuff, then the package install scripts
> could hammer the cpu quite a bit before the next package can be
> digested. If hundreds of MB also need to be written to disk, the traffic
> jam just worsens. (OK, you know that ... but top and iotop are good for
> easing paranoia, I've found.)
>
> One way to remove the concern could be to just fetch the packages
> (apt-get --download-only), then install them after disconnecting the
> outside world. (I tend to use dpkg for that, but that's just habit.)
>
> Erik

I didn't actually check Erik, only one term open on the shop machines,
other than a glance at the gkrellm display on this machine, which did not
show a significant load on any of the 4 cores in this phenom when I did the
first update-manager run on this machine, finishing about 5 minutes ahead
of starting it on the other two machines in sequence over ssh -Y
connections.  It was slow for all 3 machines.  update-manager was reporting
from 19kb up to an occasional shot above 30kb, but was showing normal
speeds for the stuff coming from the ubuntu repos, normal here being just
shy of 400kb.

So, based on the waddle & quack, I called it a duck. ;-)

Cheers, Gene

        "Are you sure you're not an encyclopedia salesman?"
        No, Ma'am.  Just a burglar, come to ransack the flat."
                -- Monty Python
         law-abiding citizens.