Typically a mill like machine has the machine home up for Z. This means
that Z travel goes from 0 to -something. Standing in front of the
machine with the X axis perpendicular to you positive movement on the X
moves the "tool" to the right and positive movement on the Y moves the
"tool" away from you and positive movement on the Z moves the "tool" up.
The reference to the "tool" is because some machines move the table and
some move the spindle. Table to the left moves the "tool" to the right etc.

If you don't have home switches make a match mark for each axis and jog
to that point and press the home button when that axis is selected. This
will make your limits functional. Typically you move to the zero
position of the part and touch off the tool to establish the part
position. Once you touch off if the part is within the limits you can run.

Some good reading here:
http://gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/g-code/index.html

Are you by any chance from North Carolina?

JT