So I recently got my second CNC machine for my small business.

The first machine was a DIY kit, and (obviously) I used EMC on Ubuntu. Got the
CD, installed it on my old PC went through the stepconf wizard, and it ran!
Since then have created lots of Gcode and products.

I said obviously, because being new at CNC, and an open source fan I did not
want to spend a lot of up front money.  So I use Inkscape (with a Gcode
generator extension) for CAD and EMC  for machine control.  All open source and
LOVE the flow I created.  Created my own coding standards, and even though
Gcode is quite arcane, it is very powerful and EMC's support for it is
EXCELLENT.   I use parameters, subroutines, conditionals, repeats, etc, so
everything I make can easily be scaled, positioned, replicated, all from the
Gcode file.

Actually, don't know about Mach 3, but the control software that came with my
new machine, WinPCNC, even though it said it supported Gcode, could not run my
Gcode.  Actually their support for Gcode is minimal.  For me this meant to get
EMC to work with my new machine (relatively easy and straightforward once you
have all the parameters of the controller), in order to be able to run
everything as I was used to.

So I have NO issues with LinuxCNC.  On the contrary I am quite happy with it.
Granted I do not do very complicated things, only three axis, but I love the
way it works, and LOve AXIS as well. That it only runs on Linux is NO problem.
Actually it is STABLE ,and I have not experienced  a single crash. I appreciate
that!

Rindert Schutten
Designer/Owner SchuttenWorks
Find us on the Web at  http://schuttenworks.com