It really doesn't make any difference which is X and Y so long as they
connected to move in the correct direction for positive and negative
moves which align with the Cartesian axes. The arrow points are the
direction for positive moves.

http://www.oasys-software.com/faq/images/Image/1092-axes_in_gsa/cartesian_axes.png

I would pick the 580mm axis for Y and the 400mm axis for X after looking
at the machine.

JT