On 21.10.13 18:00, Dave Cole wrote:
> The 24 volt transformers are called commonly called Buck/Boost transformers.
>
> Oftentimes used to boost 208 to 240 volts or buck 240 down to 208..
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck%E2%80%93boost_transformer

Wiring the secondary of any step-down transformer in series with the
primary, phased either for step-up or step-down, forms an
autotransformer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

Now we have no isolation from the supply side.

When I did that to use a European 220v router on Aussie 240v mains, I
just grabbed a suitable transformer from the junk box. Its secondary
current rating exceeded the router's consumption, and had a secondary
voltage of 24v, giving a choice of 216v or 264v.

More recently, about twenty turns of insulated wire added to a toroidal
power transformer tweaked the secondary voltage to provide what I
needed, while leaving it as a step-down transformer with full isolation.

Erik

--
The Kyoto Protocol, drafted in 1997, aimed to reduce the world's greenhouse gas
emissions by around five per cent from 1990 levels by the end of 2012.