I do this using VisualMill 6.0.  I generate the text I want at the text
height I want (Y), then scale in the (X) direction so it is 360.0 units
wide.  I use a special "post" to swap X with A.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus Bowman [mailto:marcus.bow...@visible.eclipse.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, 4 November 2013 7:33 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Scale ring engraving

On 2 Nov 2013, at 16:03, Jon Elson wrote:

> andy pugh wrote:
>> On 2 November 2013 08:53, Steve Blackmore <st...@pilotltd.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Can't you set A as a linear axis in LinuxCNC ?
>>>

>> You can't set the active plane to XA.
>> You can have a linear A-axis, but the only planes that arcs can be in
>> are XY, YZ, ZX, UV, VW, WU.
>>
> Right, so making a special config that drives the rotary axis from X
> or Y would be the way to go.  I suppose you could make the A axis
> drive the "missing axis" so you could position the work under the spindle.
> Then, once the spindle was exactly over the rotary axis centerline,
> you wouldn't move it again.
>
> So, it would just require a special config file with the A and Y
> swapped on the motion output.

Ok; I have done this on more than one occasion. Here's how I did it:

First, I am using a font describable using only X and Y linear moves, so I
am not using G2 or G3 commands.
The work is a cylinder held in a chuck on the A axis, projecting
horizontally along the X axis.

The diameter of the cylinder is D, so the circumference is pi * D which is a
linear distance wrapped around the X axis, but if unwrapped would be a
linear Y distance.
Translate Y onto A by proportion:
360 degrees / circumference  = translation factor (call it TF) In the
program, change all Y references to A and multiply all former Y values by
TF.

In my case,
D=34.4
Circumference = 108.069