The problem ist that the terms high magnification and depth of field does
not fit well together.

if you take a look at the equations for optical systems you see that there
are lot of equations for DOF:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field#DOF_formulas

the problem is now if you need a decent DOF, lets say 2mm and you are
200mm away from your workpiece and you want a resoltion of x mm/pixel you
can do the math and will see that this will not work out quite well..
you can tweak it by using a small sensor diagonal (which will cause to
have a low circle of confusion) and high aperture (which will cause a
better hyperfocal distance on large focal length (see that f goes with the
square in that particular formular!)) - but that will of course decrease
your resolution and increase your need for good light setup.

-sebastian