On 11/08/2013 02:38 PM, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I need to know to what extend Linux CNC could be used to manage an
> infrared SMT reflow oven. Any ideas are welcome.

Linuxcnc could handle your oven control. In my opinion the advantages
would be:
-Common, cheap, non-proprietary PC hardware
-HAL system to connect hardware and software components
-HALscope and HALmeter to monitor and troubleshoot
-Possibly HAL mapping to document your configuration
-Software and hardware signal generators that integrate well with HAL
-Software PLC that integrates well with HAL, if that is your thing
-GladeVCP or pyVCP for developing a custom user interface
-Python interface if one is not strong in C
-Network and remote monitor/control ready
-Modbus ready
-more that hasn't come to mind yet

I would tend to consider what skills one already has and choose a
solution that matches. If you know how to use hardware PLCs, then maybe
a PLC should be the base of your system, but you might still need to
fill in some of the points listed above. I like AVRs, but you would need
to develop a system almost from scratch.

Just my two bits worth.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/