From: John Kasunich
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:06 PM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] gcmc - v1.1.1

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Bertho Stultiens wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 05:33 PM, Tony Zampini wrote:
> > for( x = 0; x <= 10; x += 0.5 )
> > {
> >     for ( y = 0; y <= 4; y += 0.5 )
> >     {
> >         drill( [x, y, -0.5], 0.1, 0.1);
> >     }
> > }
>
> Please note that gcmc defaults to mm if no units are specified. The
> above will move 0.5mm each step. For inches, you should explicitly
> specify it in the code:
>
> for( x = 0mil; x <= 10000mil; x += 500mil )
> {
>     for ( y = 0mil; y <= 4000mil; y += 500mil )
>     {
>         drill( [x, y, -500mil], 100mil, 100mil);
>     }
> }
>
> I am considering to implement "in"-suffix for inches, but there are some
> annoying side-effects when doing so because there will be more than one
> conversion possibility. Should "1in + 1" be 2in or 1001mil. The former
> would be more logical, but has the problem that you no longer can assume
> a variable's magnitude. The latter has consistent magnitude, but is a
> bit harder to understand/grasp/use.
>
> Comments welcome.

In non-metric countries, "mil" is typically used only when making
printed circuit boards.  Ordinary mechanical design is done in either
inches or mm.

In other words, inches and millimeters are the "mainstream" units,
and mils are a "niche application".  It almost seems like you have
it the other way around.

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm