On Tue, 12/10/13, Stephen Dubovsky <smdubov...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Acra CNC refit progress.
 To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Date: Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 2:55 PM

 On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Dave
 Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > I've got an Erickson QC30 on my Bridgeport CNC mill.
 > R8 does not maintain any accurate Z reference after a
 tool change.

 Why?  R8 uses a taper angle of 16.85deg.
 NMTB/QC30 uses 16.5943deg [both
 from wikipedia].  Both of them the taper face is the
 gauge line (they don't
 seat on a flat face or anything.)  Both have 1.25" max
 taper diameters.
 They are basically identical.  So if you can get
 repeatable pull/torque
 both should seat just as repeatably.

 SMD

R8 is mainly used for collets instead of tool holders. If you're doing all one
off stuff or will use a single setup for a production run then it's not a big
deal. If you're constantly swapping tools then collets are a pain.