On 12/20/2013 11:11 AM, Eric Keller wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Sebastian Kuzminsky <s...@highlab.com>
> wrote:
>> Installing the rtai linux-image did the right thing on my machine - when i
>> turn the computer on, grub boots into the rtai kernel by default.
>>
>> What is the output of "ls /boot" on the problematic machine?
> I'm not next to the machine, but I am now running your kernel after
> manually doing the post-install steps
> I assume you wanted to know if the kernel and initrd was there, which
> obviously it is.
> It is a clean install of 12.04.3 desktop 386 with all current updates
> applied.  I would guess the post install steps failed on my system.
> Mostly just giving feedback since I got it to work.  I don't know if
> uninstalling and reinstalling would tell us anything.  I don't know if
> the fact that my system was running a 3.8 kernel has anything to do
> with the issue or not.  I thought 12.04.3 was going to stick with 3.2,
> but there is a 3.8 kernel on there.
>
> BTW, I was doing all the installs over ssh, so I hadn't fully
> troubleshot the network driver issue.  It turns out that whatever
> realtek network driver was on the system worked with your rtai kernel
> and I had just screwed up changing the default kernel boot.

Eric:

I don't believe you've done anything wrong.

I just brought up a clean 32-bit Precise install on a virtual host. I
ran through the instructions* on the wiki
(http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxCNC_On_Ubuntu_Precise).

The new kernel entries got thrown into a newly created "Previous Linux
versions" page of the grub menu. As you said before, unless something
else is done (e.g., edit /etc/default/grub)  the system boots into the
default Precise kernel.

Manually intervening with grub to select the kernel from the secondary
page works---the system booted into the RTAI kernel, hence my first
statement.

Regards,
Kent

*I edited the instructions to add the missing "sudo" in step 6