On Sunday 12 January 2014 14:58:59 Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On 01/12/2014 07:14 AM, jrmitchellj . wrote:
> > Looks like it did not find you parallel port.
> > (just my guess by looking at the kernel message)
>
> Actually, I think the this error message:
>
> insmod: error inserting
> '/usr/realtime-2.6.32-122-rtai/modules/emc2/hal_ppmc.ko': -1 Operation
> not permitted
>
> indicates that the Pico-Systems PPMC card was not found, so the module
> wasn't loaded. The card may not have power or is damaged. If you have
> verified that you have power to the board, Pico-Systems has a
> diagnostics utility that may help from there.

Isn't that the error you see if the OS has loaded its own parport driver?
lsmod might show that, in which case a "sudo modprobe -r parport" might be
in order.

Cheers, Gene

The only two things that motivate me and that matter to me are revenge
and guilt.
                -- Elvis Costello
         law-abiding citizens.