Hi Marius!

On 01/22/2014 03:42 PM, Marius Alksnys wrote:

> BTW, I think I found another or related problem - LinuxCNC freezes for
> some time (roughly 5-20 seconds) for example, when pressing Shift-Home
> in axis (touch off). And the time required for the same operation
> differs abnormally. I spent around 5 hours, trying to find the reason,
> but I couldn't separate it.. Except for something, related to LinuxCNC
> CPU load. But the load didn't reach more than 40% when locking occurs.

This is interesting. I've faced a similar problem when invoking some
operations using the LinuxCNC python interface:
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/common/python-interface.html

My gladevcp panels performs a lot of movements using MDI commands, so I
do something like this:

import linuxcnc
lcmd = linuxcnc.command()

#...

lcmd.mode(linuxcnc.MODE_MDI)
lcmd.wait_complete()
lcmd.mdi('G0 X10 Y3.5')
lcmd.wait_complete()

Under certain circumstances (I haven't identified a real pattern), the
mode switch also takes looong. As you say, some 5 to 20 seconds. It
happens, that the mode switch itself (lcmd.mode(...)) takes long and
then lcmd.wait_complete() immediately returns, but sometimes the waiting
takes a few seconds as well. This is very annoying, so I later switched
to send my commands to AXIS using the Tk bindings as found in the
axis-remote script. This clutters the MDI console, but I haven't noticed
such bad delays, so it's worth it.

Maybe this information is useful for someone.

Cheers,
Philipp