On 01/29/2014 11:10 PM, Len Shelton wrote:

... snip

> It may be true that Tormach designed the casting, although I don't see
> much need to as there are many existing slug designs.

Then it would be a Chinese machine with Tormach's name on it. It's a
Tormach machine which happens to be made in China.

  They probably did
> design the sheet metal. But the spindle, belts, pulleys, electronics,
> motors, ball screws, couplers, linear rails, and bearings - you know all
> of the components that actually function - are almost certainly all
> off-the-shelf Chinese components.

The design and specs come first, if there is an off the shelf part that
meets the specs, they use it, if not, they figure out how to get it made.

  If they were using brands like IKO or
> THK - surely they'd brag about that (using Japanese parts instead - LOL).
>
> There are actually some really nice Chinese controllers being produced
> for cheap, so why they are still using Mach3 is beyond me.

Mach3 is used mostly because that's what their customers expect and want.

  And here is a
> fun fact: If the Chinese factories want even better quality, they
> actually import components from Taiwan, which has about a 40 year lead
> over Chinese manufacturing technology.
>
> Again, I don't have a problem with Chinese components myself. But the
> question I have is... if you find a quality Chinese integrator and
> specify the way the machines must be built, tested, and to what
> tolerances they must meet - does that then make it an American product?
> I guess if you think the iPhone is an American product because Apple
> designed the skin around which the Chinese components are housed, then
> yes. But that would make Mach3 on Windows the equivalent of iTunes on
> iOS, which may not be that much of a stretch - haha.
>
>   >Len

An Apple product is an Apple product because you get a customer
experience that is unique to Apple. It's like the difference between
Snap-On, Craftsman, and Who-Knows tools, just from the name there is a
different expectation of performance and value, based on reputation.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/