> I played with those values, setting stepgen.maxvel and maxaccel to 0
> like the doc says in order to not limit it. Not much improvement. Then I
> tried to increase vastly the MIN_FERROR, and that allows to go through
> but I get some occasional grinding noise (missed steps I think) when
> doing a test (back and forth on one axis)
>

> One thing I noticed is that the .hal file written by pncconf does not
> specify the servo_base_period on the EMCMOT line.

It's specified in the INI file - the HALfile looks it up there.

> What is infuriating is that within pncconf, I can test one axis with
> fast movement back and forth and it is real nice, smooth, no missed steps...
>
> Is there a way to find out which exact parameters pncconf is using when
> it launches the tuning applet ?

Well it should use the parameters shown in the test. If you close the test
with cancel it won't copy those parameters to the axis page.

But to answer your actual question:
yes there should be a halmeter showing and you can look up the pins
that specify acceleration, velocity and drive timing.
here is a list of the relevent pinnames:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/drivers/hostmot2.html#_pins_3

or you can open a terminal and while the test is running type:
halcmd show

by the way what version of linuxcnc are you using?