On Friday 28 February 2014 15:55:57 Charles Steinkuehler did opine:

> On 2/28/2014 12:49 PM, John Alexander Stewart wrote:
> > Andy;
> >
> > I could be persuaded to have some sympathy for this viewpoint,
> > actually.
> >
> >> If G-code simply moved axes in absolute machine space and everything
> >> else was done in the pre-processor then thing would be a great deal
> >> simpler.
> >
> > I wonder what will happen when they get *two* extruders going (support
> > + final materials) and find that they have two slightly different
> > heights of extruder nozzles - maybe re-invent tool offsets, but call
> > it something different.
>
> Why re-invent tool offsets when you can simply use a different
> coordinate space...it's not like they're useful for anything else:

Which is fine if the tool has an infinitely small cutter. The usual 60
degree V used as a PCB etcher approximates this fairly well.

So I have only ever used it for tool LENGTH offsets found in real time by
my autoz routines.  Diameters are always in the first few lines of my gcode
output, so I can change from a 0.250" tool to a 0.125" tool, edit one var
in the file, and carve an identical part.

Where I find the various co-ordinate systems useful is in doing double
sided PCB's where I drill a needed hole about 60% of the boards thickness
and they meet in the middle with no discernible offset ledge. As an ex
B.I.L. was fond of saying "thats good enough for the girls I go with" ;-)

> http://reprap.org/wiki/Gcode#G10:_Head_Offset
>
> http://reprap.org/wiki/Gcode#T:_Select_Tool
>
> <sigh>

Cheers, Gene

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.