On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Philipp Burch wrote:

> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 22:27:27 +0100
> From: Philipp Burch <p...@hb9etc.ch>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] I&$@)^ another C41 gone to hell.
>
> Hi Peter!
>
> On 03/15/2014 09:34 PM, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, Philipp Burch wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:45:18 +0100
>>> From: Philipp Burch <p...@hb9etc.ch>
>>> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>>> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] I&$@)^ another C41 gone to hell.
>>>
>>> Hi Gene!

>> I can put the SPINX1 schematics up somewhere on Monday if it helps. Its
>> designed for FPGA PWM (at 5 KHz) so would need larger capacitors for 100 Hz
>>
>> It uses a THS4281 (the TLV237x series is nice but has a pretty high output
>> impedance so no better than ~.4V from rails with only about 2 ma load)
>>

> Good point, thanks. I didn't check that and I also do not know the input
> impedance of the following circuit. But since it is an industrial
> device, this should be far below 100k.
>
>> We get about 50 mv from the rails with a 10K load and better than 1%
>> linearity
>> at 5 KHz (Linearity would be a lot better at 100 Hz)
>>
>> Design is Fast OPTO --> pullup --> 4000 series CMOS gate for precise rail to
>> rail PWM (OPTO is not) and CMOS has equal impedance both directions --> 2
>> pole
>> filter --> THS4281 follower
>>

> Yeah, never do the isolation in the analog part. It is so much harder to
> compensate for all the effects of real devices if not only the time
> domain must be concerned, but also the continuous amplitude.
>
> But an even better solution would be to stick to an all-digital
> solution. Don't those/most drives have a digital setpoint input?
>
> Regards,
> Philipp

Sure most VFDs can use ModBus but isolated analog spindle controls are often
used for KBIC type DC motor controllers or similar devices that are simple
pure analog controllers. Analog (or some real time digital control) is also
needed if its desired to close the spindle speed loop in linuxcnc.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)