On 25 March 2014 02:49, Gregg Eshelman <g_ala...@yahoo.com> wrote:
 rig isn't going to cut it.

> I've been thinking on how to build a tool changer for NMTB, without
> having to add a spindle encoder and fine motor control. Since the
> spindle has two drive lugs, probably an alignment jig that pinches from
> the sides on those blocks then something (solenoid or air cylinder) to
> hold the spindle brake.

Here is a thought that I have had.

You could have a small carousel of tools mounted on the end of the
bed, so that at least two tool locations were within reach of the
spindle.
The carousel is unpowered, but has spring détentes. It can float
vertically by a small amount.

To pick up a tool the spindle plonks itself down on top of a tool, and
rotates slowly, pushing down the carousel if the lugs are not aligned.
When the lugs are aligned the carousel pops up, and triggers a switch.
It is then safe to clamp the tool, and either lift the head (for a
simple bucket-style carousel) or slide it out sideways.

To change the tool the spindle puts the in-spindle tool into the empty
slot, then coordinated movements of the table are used to rotate the
carousel to place the required tool within reach of the spindle. It
might be necessary to load some tools that are not actually wanted if
the tool ordering is non-optimal.

This is something of a hybrid between a rack changer and a carousel.
The (only) advantage over a rack is that it takes up less space on the
table. It could work with quite a large tool chain, for example.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the spindle that moves the
chain/carousel. there could be a pawl arrangement at the far corner of
table movement.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.