On 04/16/2014 07:51 AM, Dr.Mclem wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I am retrofitting a small mill and want to create a manual mode as well as
> the cnc mode but using the same hardware. I have jog wheels and analogue
> handles already interfaced into Hal but have two problems I am struggling
> with.
> 1) on my count encoded wheel I want fine control (say 0.001") but as I spin
> the wheel I would like the motion to be smooth. At the moment using axis-jog
> it executes many 0.001 steps with a stop in between.

The ilowpass component can do this smoothing for you.  Put it between
the encoder of your jog wheel and the axis.*.jog-counts pins.

We unfortunately don't have a good sample config that shows how to do
this in simulation (ie, without special hardware hooked up).

There's an example in the 'univpwm' sample config, look in the file
named pendant.hal.

Also check out shuttlexpress.hal, which does something similar (it's in
the 'common' directory of the sample configs, and not used by any ini
file that i know of).

> 2) I would also like to use an analogue input to drive the velocity of an
> axis directly for more rapid manual movement but can't see how to do this
> with the jog pins.

For this I recommend using halui.  The jog speed would go into
halui.jog-speed pin, and then the "go" buttons would be connected to
halui.jog.*.plus and halui.jog.*.minus.

For a pretty clear example of this, look at the halui_pyvcp sample
config.  The shuttlexpress.hal file also does variable-speed continuous
jogging using the halui method.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky