On Wednesday 23 April 2014 18:05:33 andy pugh did opine:

> On 23 April 2014 22:17, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > 1.  Since the tool post may get turned a few degrees to facilitate a
> > boring operation, how do you go about ascertaining that the tool post
> > is truly square so you don't have to re-invent a new tool table when
> > its been turned or moved?
>
> I never turn the tool post. So far I have never needed to.

One particular part that I make a fresh one of from time to time, is the
black powder nipple that instead of holding the usual #11 percussion cap,
holds a #209M shotgun primer, which is nearly the only method of reliably
igniting a black powder substitute called BlackHorn 209.  Its the
difference between a 8" 5 shot group at 50 yards, and a 1.5" group at 50
yards.

It has several other advantages, like firing 30 shots in an afternoon at
the range, without even needing a spit patch cleaning.

That needs a pocket in the back of it to hold this primer, nominally .242"
in diameter, and around .230 to .235 deep.  I haven't found a drill that
size which can give a reasonably flat bottom, so most of the time I drill a
3/16" hole about the right depth, then mount an .125" solid carbide 2 flute
mill in a drill chuck, which in turn is set into the boring bar holder, and
turn the post just enough that the near corner of the mill functions as a
boring bar, say 5 degrees CCW from square when looking down on it.  There
is of course a small slop in the tool post hold down bolt, so restoring it
to a fixed position can be a chore.

> > 2.  Do you use fixed gages when servicing the tools in order to
> > establish a fixed "stickout" for that tool when re-installing it in
> > the QC holder?
>
> I have a holder for (nearly) every tool. When I need to swap tools I
> touch-off again.
>
> Tool table entries correspond to the holders, not the tool, in my case
> (and I have stamped them).

Here, except for the boring bar and cutoff holders, they are, AFAIK all
alike & carry the same part number. But I also need to get another bar
holder and 4 or 6 more std tool holders to complete the kit and get most of
my tools mounted.  If I were to stamp them, it would be with the tooltable
entry to use.

Are there arguments against that?

Thanks Andy.

Cheers, Gene