From: "Jon Elson" <el...@pico-systems.com>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Friday, May 2, 2014 11:15:21 AM
Subject: [Emc-users] center finder camera

I know there has been some discussion about using cameras
for center/edge finding with LinuxCNC. I just found a
camera/microscope that looks REALLY ideal, but have no
idea if there is a Linux driver for the camera chip.

See eBay item

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321060396782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

eBay item # is 321060396782 if the above line is messed up.

it is 7 mm diameter, says 200X magnification.
What I'd do is take a 3/4" R-8 end mill holder and
fab a ring to permanently hold the scope, and
have a groove for the cord to come out. Then,
I'd find whatever pixel on the camera is at the
center of rotation and make a permanent
assignment of that pixel for the crosshairs.

But, the eBay listing only specifies XP drivers.
So, does anybody know how to find out whether there
is a Linux driver for this camera? Any other comments
on suitability of this unit?

Thanks,

Jon