On Wednesday 07 May 2014 00:02:39 Gene Heskett did opine:

> On Tuesday 06 May 2014 12:33:44 Steve Cranage did opine:
> > You'd be surprised what a standard machinist level can do for you. I
> > have a Starrett master precision level as well as a ~6 inch  Lufkin
> > basic machinist level without any graduations except the center.
> > Honestly, I can get about the same level out of both of them, if you
> > have a good eye for symmetry (dividing the bubble) you can too. OTOH,
> > forget the Chinese knock-offs of the Starret Master Precision. The
> > vials in those are useless for anything other than woodwork maybe.
>
> I have an ancient level thats pretty precise. Looks like an old mantel
> clock with its big round vial carrier that can be turned, with vernier
> markings for fractional degrees.  One end of the long base had some
> pretty bad rust on it when I gave the guy $2 at a flea market.  I've
> cleaned up the base some on a sheet of 600 grit w-d on a surface plate,
> and have tried to adjust the needle to compensate, but the best I can
> do for a level reference is to turn it from end to end.  If I get the
> same reading mirrored, I figure its good enough for the girls I go
> with.  That is also my std test at the store when buying a level, it
> had better give mirrors of the error of the surface I set it on or it
> doesn't come home with me.

On closer inspection, this level was made by the Union Tool people.
Anybody recall any other details about it?

I look at it like my Bailey #7 jointer plane, awful rusty when I laid eyes
on it the first time at a flea market, but I almost broke the guys hand
putting the $20 bill in it he wanted for it.  Cleaned up, sharpened up, it
sings to you when you use it, and makes straighter butt joints than a $350
Delta 6" jointer.  I've seen them advertised by those who deal in old
tools, always north of a $100 bill.  Sometimes pushing for $200.

Cheers, Gene