On Wednesday 21 May 2014 16:42:04 a k did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi
> i download, burn cd and install
> Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx and LinuxCNC (current release)
> and it is not working
> it shows
> print file information
> debug information
> kernel messages
>
> where do i need to look for problem?

This is not much info to clear the clouds in my crystal ball.
So, did you configure the network when you installed?  This is vital in
order to get all the latest fixes.

Once that has been done, run the update-manager from the system menu, give
it your user password, then click check, and let it update all the
security fixes for the last 4 years?  You may have to do that in stages,
rechecking before quitting it, and repeat till it has no more updates to
pull and install.  This will not update the cd's version of EMC due to the
forced renaming mentioned below.

Also, do a "sudo apt-get install synaptic" which is, if you want to
install something new, is a much better package manager.  Use it to
install gedit, a pretty decent text editor you will use quite a bit.

At this point, I should mention that due to a C&D from another outfit that
claims the EMC logo is theirs, EMC has been renamed to "LinuxCNC", which
will requite that you edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to update the
repository's names when used in the file to tell the update-manager or
synaptic, where to go get the updates to LinuxCNC itself.

Because the names version numbers of LinuxCNC no longer match:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list, and make its bottom group of LinuxCNC
related links look like this:

# deb http://www.linuxcnc.org/emc2 lucid base emc2.5
# deb-src http://www.linuxcnc.org/emc2 lucid base emc2.5
# deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid master-rt
deb http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/ lucid v2.5_branch-rt
# to embed camera output in axis
# deb http://psha.org.ru/debian/ lucid contrib
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-proposed restricted main
multiverse universe

The last line is word wrapped but is actually all on one line.  And is
only needed where you have a camera installed on your mill, so you can put
a # in front of the last 2 lines 'deb' for the time being.  Like the first
3 lines above, which is called "commenting them out"

Then, use synaptic to remove the 4 year old version of EMC, and install
the latest 2.5.4 version of LinuxCNC.

Then once that is done, look at the applications menu pulldown.  Does it
have a CNC category?  It should.

Because LinuxCNC is a swiss army knife, it must be configured to match
your machinery and its abilities.

But get to this point & we'll help with that.  I have probably laid out
half a days work above unless you have a very big network pipe.  And I
hope I haven't left anything out, nearly 80 yo wet ram does that
occasionally. ;-) If it falls over, come back with what you have done, and
where it fell over.  "It doesn't work" is not enough description.

I hope this helps.